Thursday, November 12, 2015

My slightly twisted ode to Edward Hopper

"a Queen & a Clown" View down 18th Street in the Castro Halloween night.  ©2015 Michael Kerner  |  All rights reserved.

I totally wasn't expecting this shot to turn out. It was Halloween night and I was out and about with my new camera shooting from the hip. It was about 10:00 at night and pretty dark out.

A friend of mine was out in full drag have a grand old time when all of a sudden I see him/her out in the street yelling something like

"I love you honey!"

to someone dressed as a clown on the #33 MUNI bus going by. I thought it was funny and brought the camera up in time to shoot a couple of shots of him and the person on the bus.

I didn't think anything of it until I went to process the photos on my computer later that night.

Not only could I have imagined capturing this with film, I was equally prepared for an exposure that was either entirely dark or blown out by the florescent lights on the bus. But this is what I got. I thought it would turn out like I saw it, a dark street with a bus going by.

This summer I upgraded to a Nikon D5500. It was the best I could afford at the time and I went from 6 MP to 24 MP - and it has some really handy features that work with my style of shooting. I especially like the large rotating touch screen for events and sharing.

I'm finding it interesting that as the sensors evolve, we're ending up with images that wouldn't normally be seen by the human eye.

until next time...just keep shooting!

© 2015 Michael Kerner  |  All rights reserved.

kernercreative.com

No comments:

Post a Comment